Friday, November 16, 2007

The Elephant in the Room

I have had diabetes since February of 1991. 16 years. I had to do the math in my head, because that is just not the kind of thing I am used to thinking about on a daily basis.

Somehow, diabetes became one part of my life that I paid attention to but never really thought about. You know, I never skipped my shots, I tested my blood sugar (although at times it was...less than frequent testing), I went to the endo, all that biz. But I just didn't really let myself THINK about it. Like how I felt about being diabetic. Or how being diabetic affects the rest of my life.

And I'm still trying to figure out exactly why that is. Maybe it was easier to get through life that way at the time, but it's not anymore. I want to talk about it. I want people to ask me about it. I'm just not sure what to say.

And it is one of those rare times that I seem to be at a loss for words. I can't blog it with ease like I can the rest of my life. I feel like this blog is lacking so far because I can write so much on other topics but I'm sorta sucking on this one.

So I'll continue making myself blog about it and hopefully things will start coming out. Tomorrow, I think I'm going to lay out a plan for the holidays. Because, let's face it, that's a really hard time for a diabetic. Stress, overeating, travel, unusual dinnertimes....And, before, I would have just winged it and not even thought about it until the critical moment. (Like the Fourth of July on the lake where I forgot to pack extra insulin. Not good.)

But this year, I will have a plan. And I will share it with you, Internet, in the hopes that that will keep me honest.

So far, so good.

No comments: