Sunday, April 13, 2008

Raise Your Voice

Tomorrow, Monday, April 14, is Raise Your Voice for Type I Diabetes Day. At least, that's what I read on one of the most famous D-blogs out there, Six Until Me. So I'll be raising my voice in every way that I possibly can while also taking care of two kids under two...won't you do the same? (Raise awareness for diabetes, I mean, not taking care of the two little guys.)

Here is a list that Kerri Morrone, the author of Six Until Me, has published with some ideas of how to get the word out to the world about what our lives are like, and how to make a difference.

So what are some things that non-diabetics can do?

Maybe you can reach out to a diabetic you know and ask them to educate you about their life experiences with this disease. Maybe you can simply read up on it a little yourself. Do you actually know the difference between Type I and Type II diabetes? Do you know what to do and what NOT to do if you're with a diabetic and he or she has low blood sugar? What would you serve for dinner if you were hosting a diabetic banquet? Can diabetics drink alcohol? Can they eat brownies? Can they have normal pregnancies? (Hopefully you know at least part of the answer to that one if you read this blog....)

And if those things don't interest you...is there anything about life with diabetes that you'd like to know? That you'd like to ask me? I'd be happy to answer!

I'll be back tomorrow. Not sure what direction I'll be taking this Raise Your Voice thing, as there are many different things I could write about...so maybe I'll make this Raise Your Voice week and just start it off tomorrow. Although technically this is my voice-raising diabetes-blogging month already....

Ah, whatever. I'm too tired to contemplate this anymore tonight. Darn allergens are really kickin' my bum lately, so good night, sleep tight, and see you on the flip side!

No comments: